Mulu National ParkWitness the magnificent stalactites and stalagmites of Lang Cave and Dear Cave to see thousands of free-tailed bats at dusk.
Night trek Takea night trek through the jungle to see the more elusive creatures of the night like the luminescent fungi and glowing fireflies.
True taste of WildernessSpend a night in traditional open-air longhouses with the bare minimum facilities for an authentic experience of the local’s life.
Trek the Headhunters Trail
4 Days / 3 Nights
Transfer from Mulu Airport to Mulu National Park: (1.5km) 15 minutes Trekking time up to: 2-3 hours Difficulty: Easy
Upon arrival at Mulu Airport, meet the local representative and receive a transfer to the hotel for check-in.
After lunch, depart for Mulu National Park for a three kilometres elevated plank-walk to Lang Cave, with the adjoining Deer Cave, it is considered to be the longest cave passage in the world.
Explore Lang Cave and witness its magnificent stalactites and stalagmites before proceeding to Deer Cave. Here, see the area’s biggest attraction: thousands of free-tailed bats. At dusk, marvel at a true spectacle of nature as these bats emerge from the cave in a giant cluster to forage for insects in the rainforest.
Then, experience the thrill of night trekking through the jungle back to the park headquarters. From luminescent fungi to blinking fireflies, the jungle comes alive at night time and this is a fabulous opportunity to view creatures not visible during the daytime. (if staying at Mulu Marriot this will not be available)
Afterwards, return to the hotel and spend the rest of the evening relaxing in tropical ambience.
Overnight in Mulu.
Transfer from Mulu National Park to Clearwater Cave by boat: 20 minutes Transfer from Clearwater Cave to Kuala Litut by boat:90 minutes (depending on water level) Trekking Kuala Litut to Camp 5 up to: (9 km) 2 - 3 hours Difficulty: Easy
After breakfast, which is accompanied by the sound of the jungle’s morning chorus, take a 15-minute longboat ride up the Melanau River to experience two more of Mulu’s ‘must-sees’, Wind Cave and Clearwater Cave. These limestone caves form part of the Sarawak Chamber - the largest connected cave system in the world. If water levels are low, it’s possible to get there by taking a beautiful four kilometres hike.
Explore the ‘King’s Room’ before proceeding to the Clearwater Cave. Walk on planked walkways that were built on the sides of limestone cliffs leading to Clearwater Cave. Then, climb up steep steps that were carved into the side of the hill to get to the entrance of Clearwater Cave. Inside the cave, check out the details of its various features and limestone formations.
Enjoy a refreshing swim and local lunch before continuing by longboat to Kuala Litu. Here, begin a stunning nine kilometres hike through pristine lowland rainforest to Camp five.
Get a true taste of the wilderness by spending the night in traditional longhouses and sleeping on mats elevated on raised open-air platforms in a mixed-gender dormitory with shared bathroom facilities and cold water showers.
Remember to bring a sleeping sheet and warm layer of clothes for the cool night ahead. (Note: bedding will not be provided and mosquito nets are available for a small fee.)
Overnight at Camp 5.
Trekking Camp 5 to Kuala Terikan up to:6 hours Difficulty: Medium
Rise early and enjoy a simple breakfast at the camp before beginning the 11.5 kilometres long Headhunters Trek to Kuala Terikan. The path is was a famous historical route taken by warring tribes between the Tutoh and Limbang Rivers. It is an adventurous route with various water crossings with lush vegetation from the surrounding low-lying forest.
After arriving in Kuala Terikan, board a longboat and travel through picturesque and remote stretches of jungle along the Terikan and Medalam rivers to an authentic Iban longhouse. Depending on water levels of the rivers, it may be necessary to push the boat through various sections.
Stay in Medalam longhouse – this is a newly constructed longhouse with a little more than basic facilties that the traditional longhouses have. Enjoy some local Iban food and take a stroll around the village with the guide to get a deeper understanding of the Iban culture
Overnight in Medalam longhouse.
Transfer Longhouse to Medamit by boat: 1 hour 30 min Transfer Medamit to Limbang by road: 40 km (1 hour)
After breakfast, bid the Iban tribe farewell and take the boat to Medamit. From here, connect with land transport to Limbang Airport for the onward flight.
****END OF SERVICES*****
“An itinerary may at times be altered by our guides due to local conditions, the skill of participants and other unexpected circumstances. Our priority is always the experience and safety of our clients.”
Our services include:
- Accommodation: Camping will be dormitory with bed and mosquito net.
- Meals as mentioned (B= Breakfast, L= Lunch, D= Dinner)
- 1 ExoAdventure Certified English-Speaking Guide
- Additional local guide for 8-15 pax, 2 assistant guides for 16+
- 1ST Aid Kit
- National Park Fees
- Transfers as mentioned by private air-conditioned minivan
- Legislation requires a Guide from 7+ people.
- Daily cold towels and water
- Porter fees to and from Camp 5
- You will need to bring your own sleeping bag for this trek
- Trek includes carrying your own small bag of clothes (approx. 7-10KG. sup for porters can be applied and main bag can be sent to the finishing point)
Our services do not include:
- Other meals than mentioned
- Other services than mentioned
- International and Domestic Flights
- Laundry, telephone calls and expenditure of a personal nature
- Tips, Travel insurance (must include helicopter evacuation for Malaysia)
- Visa for Malaysia
- Camera/video entrance fees
- Soft drinks, or beverages beyond water – we can add this into costs at agents request
- Tips for Guides
- Energy drinks or powders, performance bars, or performance gels (Gatorade, Powerbars, Gu, Isostar, etc)
- Sleeping bag not provided
- We strongly recommend the purchase of travel insurance (covering emergency medical evacuation) for trips to Malaysia
- Prices are valid 30 days from date of offer. Past this date price and conditions may be readjusted.
- The cost of air tickets is subject to change without prior notice by the airlines.
- Reservations during peak times (Christmas, New Year, National Holidays) may be subject to supplementary charges.
- Rooms at hotels are available only from 1400 on arrival day till 1200 on departure date. A supplement will be added if early check-in or late check-out is desired.
- Please note that all the above services & tours have yet to be booked, they are proposed for your information only and we will not make any reservations before we receive your confirmation to do so.
- If one or some proposed service(s) is (are) not available at the moment of booking, we will try to find other possibilities/options or other similar service(s) in order to avoid changes to the program.
GET IN TOUCH
We love to talk travel. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We're here to help!